Friday 9 November 2012

Things to do in Queenstown – Part 1



Queenstown is billed as the adventure capital of the world and is the Kiwi home to all manner of crazy and death defying adventure sports including bridge swinging, jet boating, white water rafting, parachuting, paragliding, flying foxing, fly your own stunt plane etc etc the list really does go on and on!   Had we returned to the UK without trying at least one of the said activities I’m not sure we could have said that we had had the full kiwi experience. 

Whilst Mr M was pretty much game for any of the above listed activities, obviously being much more risk averse I need both persuasion, selection of the right activity and in true environmental consultant fashion needed to ensure that the appropriate risk assessment had been completed before undertaking of the said activity.  

Anything involving a plane was automatically ruled out – whilst now reasonably happy flying around the world I’m not sure I wanted to throw myself out of one or fly one myself. Not great with heights either, so that eliminated all the really scary things.  Also realised I’m not really a speed freak – but unfortunately that didn’t leave many options, so following the process of elimination (and reinstatement) I find myself booked on 10.15am Shotover Jetboat ride with Mr. M.

After being kitted out in spray jackets and life jackets it’s time to board the jet boating vessel.   
Mrs M nervous, Mr M excited
There were a number of things that I thought were definite positives – (1.) the rest of the people on our boat were at least 3 generations older than us, so Captain Mike wouldn’t make it too scary for them; and (2) The best seat in the house – next to the Captain was occupied by me – he wouldn’t want to get himself too wet, or want to do anything to endanger himself.  Or so I thought…

Off we go.  
Mrs M more nervous, Mr M more excited
Most of the time I managed to keep my eyes open, apart from the really scary bits as we approached the Shotover Canyon rocky walls with literally millimetres to spare before being smashed to smithereens!  What was also very scary was when Captain Mike did the signal to hold on really really really tight as we were about to do a 360 degree turn.   
Mrs M eyes closed, Mr M big wide grin
Despite my screams it was really excellent and terrifying at the same time.  My seat next to Captain Mike kept me pretty dry – Mr M was unfortunately dripping.  The overall assessment was a definite 10/10 – we were really buzzing afterwards and would definitely do it again!  That concludes Mrs M’s adventure activities for New Zealand!

Mrs M

1 comment:

  1. Jet Boat................Awesome !
    Like Mrs M's logic.

    ReplyDelete