Sunday 4 November 2012

An Alternative View

Hello everybody, I have just watched Mrs M write her blog about the big trip on the Glacier today and I thought it might be fun for me to give an alternative view.

Ever since I was little I have always wanted to be able to fly, but being a Kiwi I never thought it would be possible.  I was so excited this morning when at breakfast Mr M said that I could go up in the helicopter to the glacier.  I said to Mr M that I didn't have any big boots or thick jumper to wear to keep me warm so it was decided that it was best if I stay in Mr M's pocket for safety.

It was such a long wait until lunchtime but eventually the time came to go on the trip and we all got in a big bus to go to the Heliport.  At the heliport the nice man said that he didn't think there had been a Kiwi on the glacier before and I might be the first one.

After our safety briefing I got back in Mr M's pocket and we walked out to the helicopter.  
The red and white helicopter
The helicopter was white and red and the blades were spinning round really fast which made me a bit scared but it was OK when Mr M held my wing.  It was amazing once we took off as I was really flying just like I had always wanted to, but very quickly we landed on the glacier.

On the glacier everyone had to put big metal spikes on their boots but I was OK as I could stay in Mr M's pocket.  We also got to meet a big man called Sam who said he would show us round the glacier and also called everyone 'crew'.
Sam the guide with a big ice axe
Once we started walking round the glacier it was really great to listen to Mr & Mrs M talk about all the different bits of the glacier.  I didn't really understand what a crevasse or moraine was but that didn't matter.

After a little while I decided it was OK to come out from Mr M's pocket for a bit and have a little hop around.
Me on Fox Glacier
It was really good fun to stretch my legs on the ice but after a while I got really thirsty so needed to stop for a drink from an ice puddle.
Me drinking glacier water
We continued to walk down the glacier and Sam asked if people would some pictures taken and I got to pose on Sams big ice axe.
Me with Mr & Mrs M
All too quickly it was time to head back to the helicopter and fly back down off the mountain.  

It has been such a fantastic day today, especially as I have been able to fly for the first time.

Kelvin (the Kiwi)

1 comment:

  1. Go Kelvin, recognition at last !
    Delighted that you managed to fly at last, but don't get talked into bungy jumping !!

    ReplyDelete